Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reader

So I'm considering finding a third person to read my manuscripts and provide feedback. I already have my Mom and Emily reading them once and giving me great feedback, but I think a third reader would be a good thing. Why?

Well, first of all, it's a pain in the ass to read a manuscript multiple times as a favor to a friend, so I don't ask. I have this suspicion that both Mom and Emily would agree enthusiastically while in their heads thinking "Oh God, not again, please, no."

Secondly it would be great to get a completely new perspective from a different source.

What am I looking for in a reader? I'm hoping to find someone with the following qualities or training:

1. enjoys reading fantasy, urban fantasy and science fiction, and has some experience with those genres
2. has taken some sort of exposure to this sort of 'work' before--whether it be from taking a creative writing workshop, working in the industry or being a writer him or herself.
3. has the ability to view a story as a whole and to see the details as well, and is willing to provide suggestions for addressing perceived weaknesses.
4. has the ability to keep the turnaround to a month or less, or even slightly more than that, but preferably not too much more.
5. And I want a pony.

What output am I looking for?
1. a rational evaluation of the major parts of a good story: characterization, plot, mood and tone, and the prose itself. Gud speeling or grammer not is needed.
2. The ability to be constructively critical. While it's always cool to know what's working, identifying what isn't working is really just as helpful. I know sometimes it's hard to level criticism at someone. The constructive part suggesting I don't really need "The whole thing just sucks, don't quit your day job", or "Your name really ruins the whole novel. maybe call yourself Jet Stevens instead?"

I actually know that some of my friends meet these criteria, with the possible exception of the pony part. But I am leery of asking right up front for fear that the following renumeration/barter offers would just be plain insulting to them. The first step in my search is to find out if what I'm looking for is even remotely reasonable.

Renumeration could include any of the following:
1. An exchange of services if desired. I enjoy reading for other people and will gladly return the favor.
2. A mention in the acknowledgements of anything that he or she reads that I manage to get published.
3. Some minor payment if neither of the above satisfy them. This would be very minimal, which probably excludes anyone who is in this industry professionally already :) But I can't really afford to throw much cash at this problem. It turns out there are some fairly restrictive child labor laws in Illinois so McDonalds had to lay off Theo. I can't understand it--he was only putting in a ten hour work day and was learning some valuable life lessons. Like don't go into the walk in freezer without blocking open the door, don't put your face on the grill and don't call customers "poopie-head".

Finally, another thing that would be awesome to know is, does this sound remotely reasonable to even pursue? Am I looking for someone that simply doesn't exist in this time-space continuum?

Anyway, I'm imagining that all of this will narrow the field to my Mom and Emily, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm going to go wait for the Child Protective Services goobs to show up.

2 comments:

Amy said...

My mom said I should apply, but I don't meet some of the criteria. And more importantly, as Emily can tell you from when I read her thing before, I mostly excel at finding spelling and grammar problems. I'm such a reading whore that I enjoy reading anything, which makes it hard to be critical.

But I'm still willing, because .. I love reading.

Unknown said...

apply! hehe, that sounds funny :) I think this would work for sure--I've always considered you a serious reader. I've been thinking since I posted this entry that it might be a good idea to get a reader's opinion rather than a writer's opinion.

And plus I can test the boundaries of your assertion that enjoy reading anything :D